I can’t promise to have all the answers, but one thing’s for sure. I made mistakes I wouldn’t want to make again (or you to make at all). I’ve broken some articles out by ‘stage’ to hopefully help you find what you need quicker.
If you’re just starting in your career
- Honestly, it’s not just writing code! I’ve written a bit about overlooked aspects of software development for that reason.
- I’ve also written a long and short article on development for new starters – what I wish I’d known back when starting my career.
If you’ve plateaued in your career
- Perhaps in some places you’re being too ambitious – be aware of how your skills will take off gradually.
- Personal projects to improve your hard skills are a great way to learn things in an enjoyable way, but you need to set a scope. Here are some common pitfalls with that.
If you’re struggling in your career
- All is definitely not lost! I clawed myself back from burnout, overwhelm, and in some cases humiliation. Here’s a high level view of how I managed that (complete with terrible handwriting on my photo).
- Feeling like your peers are so much better than you (classic imposter syndrome really) is unbelievably common, yet we don’t talk about it. I’ve put together a short article on things you can look at.
- Something not covered here that you’d like to know more about? You can drop me a line and I’d be happy to help where I can.
If you’d like to get more updates, why not sign up for the newsletter and get all the updates straight to your inbox? I’ll won’t share your email info or spam you.